For my project I have chosen to use Google Sites to create a
website where I can share resources, videos, and information about technology
resources available to teachers in our district. This website supplements my
in-person weekly sessions held in our school computer lab. Using a website
allows all staff members with the address equal access to the information. I
use this website during my face-to-face training session with staff members. I
also like that I can record and store all information that was discussed so
those who were unable to attend the face-to-face session still have access to
the information. I am using Jing to record 5 minute video tutorials on how to
use key features of the highlighted web 2.0 tools. These videos allow my
colleagues the ability to work at their own pace and serve as a refresher for
tips and tricks they may have forgotten. Using Google Sites and Jing allow me
to quickly update or modify content based on the needs of my colleagues.
The use of a central website that can easily be updated and
videos make the content I am sharing more intellectually accessible. As the
creator of the website I can focus the content specifically for the needs of
the staff members in my building. I create videos to answer their questions and
provide support. The video component allows for review of the content many days
or weeks later if a refresher is needed.
It is very important to me that the website appear straightforward (clearly
labeled with links) and easy to use (not too much information in one spot). This
is meant to help build comfort and confidence for staff members in showing them
these technology tools provided by our district are easy for teachers to use
and good for student learning. One website saves teachers time in searching for
answers to their questions and resources to use in their classroom. The website is meant to be a one-stop shopping
experience for teachers interested in using technology more effectively in their
classrooms with students.
I worked with my building principal to schedule a time for
these technology trainings that would benefit all staff members in our
building. We chose to hold hour training sessions each Tuesday in the computer
lab at our building. We determined Tuesday to be the most favorable day of the
week to avoid days off, district meetings, and building meetings. This way many
staff members have the opportunity to attend. For those with other personal commitments the
video recordings and information posted on the website is available for them to
review. I used surveys (paper versions,
but I can see the usefulness of using online surveys for future data
collection) to gauge from staff where would be a good starting point for learning
and providing content. I am also using online surveys to gauge the effectiveness
of my training sessions by gathering data from those that attend. During our
weekly training opportunities I provide a brief overview of our focus
technology and then give teachers time to explore and create a resource or tool
to use with their individual students. I am circulating and answering questions
while they have time to explore and create.
Teachers are experiencing the
content at their level in a small group setting where they have the opportunity
to ask questions. The focus of the training is to help them understand how to
use the technology, how to engage students, and how to review data they
collect. I have discovered that for many staff members this is the first time
they have been shown how to use these online tools since they were issued a
password. Being shown the useful features of these tools by a fellow teacher
ensures they have the comfort level and background needed to being applying the
technology to use in their classrooms. I am thinking adding a blog to the
website would also be a useful tool for conducting question and answer sessions
with members not in attendance. Chances are if one person is asking, many
people can benefit from hearing the answer!
No comments:
Post a Comment