During class last week we covered different ways the Internet can be organized, and information can be easily shared with others. There are many professional as well as personal applications I can see for the organizational tools we discussed. The first was Google Calendar which allows you to create multiple calendars, combine them, import information from other public calendars, and choose which ones you would like to make public. Secondly, we discussed social bookmarking. I set up a del.icio.us account that allows me to keep all of my useful web resources in one location, as well as, access them from anywhere and share them easily with others. It is also easy to organize all of the resources with labeling so they are easy to find.
These tools will help me personally organize the professional links I currently have for teaching in addition to providing an easy format to add to in the future. I think this would also be a neat tool to use in the classroom for students performing research so that they can keep all of the links for a particular topic in one place and the teacher could easily check the validity of the sources being used. It would also be helpful for students assigned to work on a group project.
I know from personal experience my mom, who is a teacher, would really like to use a tool like this because she is always forgetting web addresses that she has bookmarked on our home computer when she is working at school.
Calendars are another indispensable tool for teachers, students, and parents because everyone is very busy, and at least in my family, trying to keep up with several different schedules can be overwhelming. It is also easy to misplace paper copies of newsletters and keep them up to date, so if a teacher is using a classroom calendar through Google information can be easily added or changed as necessary and easily viewed by parents. Personally I love keeping detailed calendars because it helps me to plan my time in advance, as well as, making sure I don't forget anything important.
No comments:
Post a Comment