October 17, 2007

More Images

I placed a creative commons license on my blog, and set up a Flickr account to store my pictures. I also searched for a picture of my favorite flower: gerber daisies, using FlickrCC and posted it to my blog in order to provide myself with more practice in properly using and citing images from the web. I have learned that all images are fully copyrighted unless otherwise noted, and I was never exposed to the proper way to attribute an image until this class. I have been googling images then copying and pasting them into various presentations and projects without ever thinking twice about properly documenting where I got the image from.
This means that in the future I will be more careful about where I copy images from, as well as, the way I document the source of the image. I think this may pose a challenge to students in lower elementary because they would not understand the intricacies of the copyright laws. I think older students would be interested to learn that there is a process for citing images just like if information from a book is used in a paper.
I think it would be a positive learning experience for students although probably not something they will be thrilled about actually having to complete everytime they use an image from the Internet. Overall, I think it will take a lot of practice before I am comfortable with this process of attribution for images from the Web.

Photo Attribution:
Original image: "Gerber Daisies"
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/37/76726538_387278175a_m.jpg
by: QuiteLucid

No comments: