August 5, 2012

Using Wikis in the Classroom

I was happy to see a page for my school district did exist on Wikipedia. I added a link to our school's homepage (Roosevelt Elementary), as well as, a comment about our summer learning wiki. Our building staff collaboratively created a online summer learning resource for our K-5 students to keep their skills sharp over the summer. We created links to online activities students can work on independently, and calendars so students can track their progress. Students who track their progress over the summer and bring their calendars to school will earn prizes! I included a link to the summer learning wiki for reference. Fellow teachers feel free to check it out for great ideas for learning activities for your grade level that can be used throughout the year.

I love the idea of using a wiki in my classroom to organize and coordinate parent volunteers. Our current system is inefficient and creates complex email chains. By creating a planning wiki through Wikispaces I can invite the parents in my classroom to join as editors and coordinate events and materials in ONE central location. I have set up sign up spaces for field trips, class holiday parties, guest readers, center volunteers, and copy parents. This will facilitate keeping times, dates, and supplies clearly communicated, and should make it easier for parents to communicate with myself and each other. Parents are essential partners in the learning process, and I hope that making volunteering easy will lead to lots of participation!

34 comments:

Miztech said...

It is great to know that wikis are not new to you. What a great way to share information with staff, students, and parents 24/7.

Anonymous said...

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post
is awesome, nice written and include almost all
important infos. I'd like to peer extra posts like this .

Here is my web blog :: Buy cheap social Bookmark

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's both equally educative and entertaining, and
without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head.
The issue is something that too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
I'm very happy I stumbled across this during my search for something regarding this.

Feel free to surf to my web blog - www.studieren-ka.de

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this
post was good. I don't know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;
) Cheers!

Also visit my website - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inz1c01jnzw

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This post could not be written much better!
Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He continually kept preaching about this. I am going
to send this article to him. Fairly certain he's going to have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

Here is my page ... World Of Tanks Hack

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!
It is the little changes that produce the largest changes.
Thanks a lot for sharing!

Also visit my web blog coconut Oil For hair

Anonymous said...

It's really very difficult in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, therefore I only use the web for that purpose, and obtain the newest information.

Feel free to visit my web site: Diarrhea Remedies

Anonymous said...

I was curious if you ever considered changing the structure of
your website? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people
could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only
having one or 2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?


My homepage :: diaper rash remedies

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone, it's my first pay a quick visit at this web page, and article is actually fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these types of articles or reviews.

Here is my homepage - Unknown

Anonymous said...

I every time spent my half an hour to read this weblog's posts everyday along with a mug of coffee.

my website ... Unknown

Anonymous said...

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and may come back someday. I want to encourage continue your great work, have a nice holiday weekend!

my web-site; unknown

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog?
My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors would
certainly benefit from a lot of the information
you provide here. Please let me know if this alright
with you. Regards!

Look at my blog Unknown

Anonymous said...

I always spent my half an hour to read this blog's articles or reviews all the time along with a mug of coffee.

Have a look at my web-site ... unknown

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to find experienced people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you're talking about!
Thanks

Here is my web site - Microsoft Points

Anonymous said...

I love it when individuals get together and share thoughts.
Great site, keep it up!

my blog Download 7Zip

Anonymous said...

There's certainly a lot to find out about this topic. I like all of the points you've made.


My web blog - Unknown

Anonymous said...

I almost never comment, however i did a few searching and wound
up here "Using Wikis in the Classroom". And I actually
do have 2 questions for you if you usually do not mind. Is it only me or does it give
the impression like some of the comments appear like they are
coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online sites,
I'd like to keep up with anything new you have to post. Could you make a list of the complete urls of all your shared pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Here is my website: stretch marks

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post and also the rest of the site is also very good.



my webpage :: Nexopia.Com

Anonymous said...

What's up colleagues, pleasant article and good urging commented at this place, I am genuinely enjoying by these.

Stop by my web site: podkowalesna.org

Anonymous said...

Having read this I thought it was really informative.
I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put
this informative article together. I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and posting comments.
But so what, it was still worthwhile!

Also visit my site ... World of tanks hack

Anonymous said...

Article writing is also a excitement, if you be familiar with
after that you can write or else it is complex to write.


Also visit my web blog Generateur De Code Psn

Anonymous said...

Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up
and let you know a few of the pictures aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why but I think its a
linking issue. I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

My web-site :: Unknown

Anonymous said...

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to see if
it can survive a twenty five foot drop, just so she
can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views.
I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!


my web site - microsoft Office gratuit

Anonymous said...

Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Great choice of colors!

Here is my site :: PS3 Jailbreak

Anonymous said...

When some one searches for his essential thing, thus he/she wishes
to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.


Feel free to visit my web-site dry scalp treatments

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm absolutely enjoying
your blog and look forward to new updates.

Here is my web site: ps3 jailbreak

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is magnificent,
as well as the content!

Look into my homepage :: The interlace

Anonymous said...

Magnificent web site. Plenty of useful information here.
I am sending it to some buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious.

And of course, thank you on your sweat!

Here is my homepage ... Candy crush saga cheats

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on phone services.
Regards

Also visit my website Dragon City Cheat Engine

Anonymous said...

Thanks for every other great article. The place else may anybody get that kind of information in such a perfect
means of writing? I have a presentation subsequent
week, and I'm at the look for such info.

Feel free to surf to my blog post - psn code Generator

Anonymous said...

Nice blog here! Also your site loads up very fast!
What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

Check out my weblog :: Psn Code Generator

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed! Very useful information particularly the remaining phase :) I care for such information much. I was seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thanks and best of luck.

Here is my webpage ... Code Psn Gratuit

Anonymous said...

I think the admin of this web page is in fact working hard in support of his website,
for the reason that here every data is quality based data.


Here is my site :: Codes Psn Gratuit

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!
It's the little changes that will make the biggest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

My site: geohot Ps3 jailbreak