July 26, 2012

Universal Design for Learning


As classrooms become increasingly diverse (abilities, attention span, learning styles, background knowledge) it is essential for teachers to have the flexibility and resources to provide ALL students the opportunities to learn. Universal Design for Learning (UDL) asks teachers to keep in mind three principles when planning: 1. Representation 2. Action and Expression 3. Engagement.

Once teachers have identified a learning goal it is necessary to ensure choice, variety, and multiple strategies included for each of the principles listed above.  Asking the following questions while planning can help make sure you are on the right track. Is the material presented in a variety of ways to meet the needs of all learners? How am I asking students to demonstrate their understanding?  What opportunities do students have to engage with the materials and each other during the lesson?

This reflective process can help identify why students might not be understanding the material the way teachers intended. I plan on using this process when planning units of study in my classroom.  I want to ensure I address multiple learning styles, a variety of instructional strategies, and opportunities for student choice and engagement. For practice applying these principles to my lesson plans I used the UDL Guidelines - Educator Checklist to evaluate a lesson plan for math.

While this was a very time consuming process I am hoping for it to become more second nature as I continue to use these guidelines as part of my planning process. Check out this website to learn more about using UDL in your classroom!

1 comment:

Miztech said...

UDL is indeed a great way to 'balance' your lesson plans. Good to see that it has made enough of an impression that you are willing to use it again.